While we look forward to you going through our list of practical items to include in a hospital care package for family members, you might also be interested in some of our senior articles;
1. If you know a friend or family member that is ill, and you wish to show them support or send your ‘get well’ wishes, our article –What to get someone when they are sick– will guide you.
2. A new mom will find these Gift basket for new moms in hospitals very helpful.
3. You can do more than just send flowers to the hospital. Click to find What to send to hospitals instead of flowers.
We will start off by saying; when people are in need, do not assume that other people will help. Do the much you can do for them.
How to help a family with someone in the hospital
Hospital emergencies are normally unexpected and they tend to throw people off balance. Most people that have had hospital emergencies can tell you that they hardly ever thought of things like extra cash, blanket, food, toiletries, their pets, etcetera when the bombshell dropped. These were afterthoughts and even after they tried to get themselves and their loved one settled in hospital, they still need help with other activities.
What’s worse is that when emergencies like this happen, some people entertain the thought that others will be buzzing to help out. This is not always true. Always try to pull some weight whether or not people are there to help.
Here are a couple of ways on how to help a family with someone in the hospital;
1. Visit them with provisions or send it if you are far away.
Whether they are staying a day or more at the hospital, an emergency trip to the hospital can knock a person’s day/plan off balance. Cooking or sorting meals and other conveniences is the last thing they want to be doing. Try to get some provisions for them when you visit. You can send it if you stay far.
2. Assist with errands.
There are a number of tasks a person who has someone in the hospital would love to achieve throughout their day. Not achieving these tasks may cause them anxiety. Achieving the tasks may cause them so much stress because they still have to look after their loved ones in the hospital. If you can help them look after their pets, make some deliveries, pick their kids from school, ensure that their package or property is safe, make important calls, do laundry, etcetera, it will help ease their burdens. It is best to suggest a number of activities you can help them out with. You can also ask them what they need help with.
Consistently check up on them. It is one way of giving emotional support. But do not pester them with calls and messages. It is best to communicate twice a day and if any other thing needs to be said, let them contact you. Reassure them that you are always available to help out.
If you are religious, it goes without saying that supporting them with prayers is expected. It is one of the kindest things you can do for someone going through a hard time.
You do not have to do everything for them, just do your bit, and do it with your heart.
Quick Overview: Hospital Care Packages
Care package for parents of a sick child
The mind of a parent is never at ease when they leave their child in the hospital to run petty errands. Apart from helping out with food, or a change of clothes, when preparing a care package for parents of a sick child, here are a couple of items to include;
1. Warm blanket and pillow.
Sleeping on that little hospital sofa or chair can be pretty uncomfortable for anyone. A warm blanket and pillow will give some comfort wherever they decide to sleep at the end of the day. You can get this inspirational blanket for them. The message on it is timeless. It reads, ‘let your faith be bigger than your fears’.
2. Socks or foam slippers.If they will be spending more than a day at the hospital, wearing shoes all the time will be uncomfortable for them. You can include Wool socks like these ones in a hospital care package for parents.
For the price of the set, this is a good item to add to a hospital care package for parents.
Pick up a pack of bottled water, energy drinks, and juice for them. They do not have to spend money on drinks. We suggest V8 healthy energy drinks and Honest kids juice for parents and child. Honest kids juice is the closest you get to pure organic juice. Coffee people that cannot do without caffeine, V8 is a great energy drink.
4. Interesting activities for the child.A good way to distract children from being nervous or worried about themselves is to give them interesting activities to do, like this Coloring pillowcase and or this Interesting board game for 4-7year olds. The coloring pillowcase comes with coloring markers and we love how broad the picture on the pillowcase is. It is enough activity for a few days. The board game is a challenge for any child and a good way to preoccupy a child’s time.
5. A nice plush gift.Your nephew or niece will be excited to have a friendly cuddle buddy like this Feel better dog plush. The colorful message on the dog is attractive and child-friendly. Most reviewers are also pleased with the quality of the plush. It is a lovely gift for a sick baby.
6. Books and stationery.When organizing a care package for a family in hospital, try to include interesting books and notebooks. This should make their time at the hospital a little more interesting. The snail and the whale, and five-minute stories, are interesting books for children. Five-minute stories has over 50 tales and fables, which is enough story to keep a child entertained. Funster activity book should keep a parent busy. Don’t forget to include notebooks, pens, and pencils.
7. Food and snacks.You can prepare meals for them if they trust you or you could also give them meal tickets. This will be very helpful. A box of snacks like Protein Bars, and Cookies variety pack can also make it to your list of care package ideas. Having snacks in between meals will help keep their energy up since parents rarely find the time to eat.
8. Gums.Gums keep the mouth busy plus no one wants to be dealing with stale breath at the hospital. Throw in this Extra Polar Ice sugar-free Gum into that hospital care package for parents.
10. Toiletries.This convenience kit for women has a good number of items that should serve a patient’s mom for a few days. You can also buy it for yourself if you intend to travel to visit your family at the hospital.
Gift ideas for someone in hospital long termFor someone staying in the hospital for a long time, here are a number of useful items you could get for them weekly or monthly.
11. Medical journal.Usually, patients that stay in hospital long term have been diagnosed with a number of illnesses. And even if this is not the case for the patient you are visiting, they will surely tell you that they have to acquaint themselves with a lot of terminologies and need to follow a couple of instructions and this is why a medical journal is important. You’ve got this journal allows patients to write down as many diagnoses they encounter and as well, allows room for notes.
12. Grooming kit for men or women.Patients staying in the hospital for a long time will obviously be in need of personal care products. You can choose to buy Nivea for men grooming kit, we think it is a great grooming kit for men. And for women, we recommend a Nivea skincare set for her.
A good gift idea for someone in hospital long-term.
14. Wash towels.
A hospital patient will be in need of wash towels and we suggest that you include Pleasant Home washcloths in the hospital care package.
15. Purified water.They need to stay hydrated and supplying them with packs of bottled water will surely go a long way. Nestle Pure Life purified water is a good option.
16. Plush gifts.A plush gift has a way of making the heart glad and if you are looking for a cute one for a child or adult, this Get well plush is perfect.
17. Inspirational gifts.If you believe in the power of prayer and the word of God, this book on Prayers and promise for healing is a good item to include in a Hospital care package for family members.
18. Multipurpose tissue.For wiping sweaty face, dusty surface, spittle, and using the restroom, this Multipurpose soft tissue is a thoughtful item to include in a hospital care package for family members.
Care package for a child after surgeryGoing through surgery can be nerve-wracking for anyone, so you can imagine how children feel before the surgery is performed. To applaud them for their bravery, here are a couple of items you could get for them;
19. Plush gifts.A cute plush toy. We will recommend a superhero plush like this fuzzy bear supergirl plush. Adorable, right? But also check out this Crochet bunny rabbit doll, isn’t it so pretty? Any of these plushies will make a little girl happy. The bunny plush has male versions.
These are good gifts for someone in the hospital
Care baskets for hospital patients
If you are looking for readymade care packages that you can get for someone in a hospital, here are a couple we found interesting.
22. If you are unable to visit your loved one in the hospital, you can send this Groovy Get Well Box. The content looks great.
Hospital gift ideas sick friends and relatives24. For friends and relatives that are sick but are not necessarily hospitalized, you can send this Get Well Heart plush. It is absolutely beautiful.
It is a good gift idea for a sick friend or family.
25. This Get well spoon is an adorable and funny gift for friends and family you wish well. An item like this one will stick around for a long time.
We give this item a thumbs up. It is a nice gift.
what to bring someone who just had a baby in the hospital
If you are looking for ready-made care packages for family and friends that just had a baby, here are a couple we found interesting;
26. After the whole journey of pregnancy till birth, Magnolia New mom gift box should get her blushing. Items in this lovely gift box have been carefully selected to get moms to relax. She will absolutely love this. It contains a copper water bottle, scented candle, moisturizing body lotion, creamy foot butter, and a congratulatory card for moms.
A beautiful gift for someone who just had a baby.
27. Customers have only positive things to say about Bue Moon New mom gift box and we think that it might be the perfect body care gift for new moms. This gift box contains hand-made soap, bath salts, body oil, mist, and a lip balm with lavender essential oil.
This gift box looks like a good gift idea for new moms in the hospital.
28. If you are looking for the perfect gift for the couple, this New mom and dad 2021 gift box will do. It is a simple but lovely gift box. It contains two mugs,-one for mom and the other for dad-, a ‘new to the crew’ romper and a cute baby bib. Who wouldn’t love this gift?
We give this gift box a thumbs up. It is a well-thought-out gift for parents.
29. Another excellent gift for couples at the hospital is this Family figurine. Gosh! This figurine is stunning and embodies so much life.
If you are looking for what to bring for someone who just had a baby in the hospital, this figurine is perfect.
LET’S ANSWER MORE QUESTIONS
1. What do you send to someone home from the hospital?
Start by volunteering to get them one or two items prescribed by their doctor. It could be exercise equipment, gadgets, furniture, or type of clothing. Other than that, you can send them
- Fruits and nuts
- Comfort blankets and pillows
- Useful gadgets
- Inspirational gifts of any form; books, jewelry, plush, notes, journals etcetera.
- Funny gifts
- Interactive games
2. What do you send to an elderly man in the hospital?
All we can say is to add some fun to the gift and make sure your moods are not depressing. You can send him
- Fun, happy, interesting games.
- Interesting puzzles
- Books about funny jokes, riddles, and fables
- A unique comforting blanket
- Comfort slippers and socks
- The genre of music he loves
- Healthy pastries
- Pure juice
- Funny pictures and videos of family and pet
- Hilarious letters but heartfelt too
Supporting people at critical times counts and in case you’ve been wondering how to support friends and families that are in hospital, we hope this article has truly given you one or two clues.
02 HOURS 40 MINUTES
ESTIMATED TIME DESIGNING AND UPLOADING THIS ARTICLE
14 HOURS 02 MINUTES
ESTIMATED TIME RESEARCHING AND WRITING THIS ARTICLE
You Might Also Like
Looking for unique ideas of things to bring someone in the hospital instead of flowers? This article has just the right selection of the best gifts for hospital patients that can be sent in the place of the usual flowers. Having a friend or loved
He is far away and you miss him so much; he’s been under the weather for a while and you want to send a ‘get well’ package to him; his birthday is coming up soon and you want to surprise him; your anniversary is in
Whether it is a night, a couple of nights, or a few months in the hospital, medical emergencies can ruffle a person. Showing support to friends or family members that are in the hospital will help to lessen their burdens. In this article, we’ve listed
Sometimes as an employer, it is important to show your employees that you appreciate them. This might be a bit of a challenge when your employees are remote and work from home. However, there are ways in which you can send care packages for remote
11 Ideas on What to Writein a Care Package Card WhatToGetMy Instructional Article Wondering what to write on a care package card? Or do you still struggle with the right care package message ideas? This article will help you on how to write the perfect
For many students, college life is like driving on a highway and hoping that your miracle fuel continues to sustain you until you get back in control of whatever situation you are facing. Care packages are like fuel. No matter how little they are, they