What to Write in a Sympathy Card for Loss of Husband: 25 Things to Say to a Bereaved Widow
WhatToGetMy Instructional Article
Losing a husband is a heartbreaking thing and unfortunately in our lifetime, we will have one or two friends experience this. The best thing we want to do when our friend’s husband has passed away is to immediately want to make them feel better, make sure they do not spiral down a depressive hole. We want to pull our friends up and out before grief takes them over – and often we will find ourselves short of words, unable to speak what our hearts feel.
Statistically speaking, women are more likely to lose their spouses than men are – according to this study conducted in 2016 and republished in 2021, the percentage of women having been widowed is much higher than that of men. Meaning that more women experience losing their husbands.
WHAT TO WRITE IN A SYMPATHY CARD FOR LOSS OF HUSBAND
Sending someone a condolence letter for the loss of a husband is quite popular and common amongst Western societies and cultures. When a friend or family member’s husband has passed away it can be quite a difficult time for them and the words you write in your sympathy card can be quite soothing and reassuring to them that life will get better and their grief will not consume everything in their life. Here are a few things you can say in your sympathy card as a way of extending your condolences and offering solace with words.
1. “Losing a husband is not an easy experience to go through, I am sending you love, light, and strength to get through these dark days and even darker nights”
2. “I am so sorry for the loss of your husband, I am keeping you and your family in my prayers.”
3. “I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your husband. He was such an amazing man and he will be missed dearly. Please receive my deepest condolences.”
4. “We are extending our condolences on the loss of your husband. He was a light to this world and his absence will be felt greatly. We are sending you love and light during these difficult times.”
5. “My deepest condolences to the loss of your husband. Sending strength your way to help you through these difficult times.”
6. “Please receive my sincerest condolences for the loss of your husband. I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers during these difficult times. I am here for you if you need anything.”
7. “My thoughts are with you during these dark and tragic times. May you find peace and solace in knowing that everything happens for a reason and that your husband lived a very fulfilling life. I pray you hold on to that and rejoice in the moments you shared together while he was still here.”
8. “So sorry for the loss of your husband, may his memory live on through you, family, and friends. He was a great man.”
9. “I am still in disbelief over the passing of your husband and I can only imagine what you must be going through. Please don’t hesitate to reach out when the days get too long and the nights too heavy for your heart. I am here if you want to talk, or just sit around and cry. I love you and I am so sorry for your loss.”
10. “Your husband was one of the kindest and gentlest souls to have walked the earth, he was an angel amongst men and he will be dearly missed by all of us. Our deepest condolences to you and your family on this great loss.”
11. “May the love of God give you peace and comfort during these hard times. We are keeping you in our prayers, please receive our deepest condolences.”
12. “I am so sorry for the loss of your husband. I hope you can find solace in your kids, family, and those closest to you. Please receive my deepest condolences.”
13. “ I am so sorry for the loss of your husband. May you find comfort in knowing that he was a good man who changed a lot of lives and was committed to bringing out the best in people. Please receive my deepest condolences.”
14. “Please accept our sincerest condolences for the loss of your husband. It was an absolute honor to have crossed paths with him. He was a man of his word and a gentle soul. He will be missed dearly.”
15. “Your husband was a great asset to our community and his death has left us all shaken and lost. We share your sadness and grief in these hard times, our community, just like your family has suffered a great loss and we will never be the same. And so we are extending our deepest condolences to you and hope that you find healing, in time.”
16. “They say the good die young and unfortunately this is true. Your husband is a true testament to all the goodness that is left in this world. He was greatly loved and adored by many and he will be greatly missed, equally.”
17. “I cannot begin to imagine how heart-wrenching this might be for you, but I am sending you all my love and keeping you close to my heart in prayer.”
18. “There aren’t ever going to be the right words to explain or make sense of what has happened. It is a senseless tragedy and I am so sorry it has happened to you.”
19. “Words fail me in these difficult times, I cannot begin to imagine what you must be going through. I am so sorry that I can’t do much to ease your pain, I could take all the bad away – if I could. I hope you know that I am always here for you, whatever you need. I love you and I am sorry you are going through this. Please receive my deepest condolences.”
20. “Although your husband is gone, his memory and legacy shall live on through you, the kids, and the community that loved and respected him dearly. My sincerest condolences for your loss.”
21. “I am so sorry for your loss, your husband was a good friend of mine and I will miss him greatly. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.”
22. “The hurt and despair you must be feeling can only be imagined by others. We have not the right words to say to comfort you but know that we are here for you as a community, to listen and lift you up in prayer. Our deepest condolences to you and your family.”
23. “Nobody could tell a story quite like your husband, he had a flair for narration and we all enjoyed the time he spared to recounter his amazing stories and share them with us. We shall greatly miss him, may his soul rest in peace. Please accept our condolences.”
24. “We wish you peace during these dark times. May you find the light at the end of the tunnel and solace within each other and knowing that your husband was a great father, husband, son, and friend to all of us. We have all suffered a great loss, but perhaps you more than the rest. We extend you our deepest condolences. May he rest in God’s eternal glory.”
25. “Condolences on the death of your husband. Although it is painful to lose someone so close to you whom you dearly love, I hope that you celebrate his life – it was well lived. He was a beacon of light, a true angel for a lot of us. I am sorry for your loss.”
These sympathy card messages for the loss of husband can be sent through mail or text messages or email. Whatever method you use, make sure that you sign accordingly. For example, if you are sending it as a group (i.e. family members, church members, social group e.t.c.) remember to cosign on everyone’s behalf.
LOSS OF HUSBAND QUOTES
Finding the right words to send someone as a loss of husband message can be quite hard especially because when tragedy strikes, words never seem to be enough. The loss of a husband, no matter how old, is never easy and sometimes we may feel like our condolences for the loss of a husband are not enough. With that in mind, we give you these sympathy quotes for loss of husband to help you in times when you need to say something but you just can’t quite figure out the right words:
1. “With heartfelt sympathy on the loss of your life partner, companion, and friend. I wish you light at the end of the tunnel. May you not be consumed by grief that you let life pass you by, and may you remember him fondly and softly – just as he lived. Your love will shine through, even in death. Your souls will always be forever.”
2. “I hope you know that even though he is gone, he is still here with you. Every time the wind blows, every time it snows. Every time the rain taps on your window – let it all gently remind you of him. Always there, always comforting.”
3. “Although it is difficult today to see beyond the sorrow, may looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow.” –
WHAT TO DO NEXT
Now, after all, is said and done, it is important to follow up on your friend or family, or community member whose husband has just passed. You may show up to the funeral memorial or you may even offer or volunteer to help the family with tasks that they cannot get to because they are planning the funeral. You may also get some gifts for the grieving widow that will make her life a little bit easier as she plans the funeral and burial of her husband. You can offer to do so much for the family because what you think is too small and insignificant, can actually mean the whole world to them in their darkest hour.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What to say to someone who lost their spouse
Expressions of sympathy for the loss of a husband are never easy but we hope that the list we have given you above can help you express your condolences to your friend, colleague, or family member who has just lost their husband. Whatever you do, remember to be gentle and kind, and careful with the words that you use and in the context that you use them.
2. What do you write to a grieving widow?
Writing comforting words for the loss of a husband should be done with sympathy and empathy. Write what you feel is appropriate and also what you would want to hear if you were in their shoes. Do not be petty, do not be holier than thou, and do not talk ill of the dead.
In conclusion, this article has given you 25 ideas on what to write in condolence notes for the loss of a husband. We hope that these sympathy wishes for the loss of a husband will help you express yourself in the unfortunate event that you have to console a friend who is going through the loss of a husband. These are all alternative ways to say “sorry for the loss of your husband” in more meaningful and gentler ways.
01 HOUR 35 MINUTES
ESTIMATED TIME DESIGNING AND UPLOADING THIS ARTICLE
10 HOURS 51 MINUTES
ESTIMATED TIME RESEARCHING AND WRITING THIS ARTICLE
You Might Also Like
9 Great Idea on How to Get Your Husband to Help Around the House Without Nagging WhatToGetMy Instructional Article If you are reading this, you may be the wife helping the husband, and you are looking for how to get your husband to help. If
15 Signs of a Lazy Man (Husband) and 9 Ways How to Deal with a Lazy Husband. WhatToGetMy Instructional Article A lazy man will drain and suck the life out of a relationship because he will bring the same lazy, lackluster disposition he has into
Signs Your Separated Husband Wants You Back WhatToGetMy Instructional Article Couples separate for several reasons but it’s not all the time that separation results in a divorce. Sometimes, it does happen that a husband wants to come back after separation. And this is the question
19 Positive Signs Your Husband (A Man) Loves You Deeply WhatToGetMy Instructional Article When your husband is still deeply in love with you, you can be able to tell by looking out for all the 19 positive signs listed in this article. Read on to
Signs He Doesn’t Care About Your Feelings WhatToGetMy Instructional Article In this article, we discuss the 11 signs you will see when your boyfriend stops caring about your feelings and doesn’t care about the relationship anymore. We also discuss what to do when you feel