9 Important Signs of Maturity in a Woman
WhatToGetMy Instructional Article
This article has been divided into two main subtopics
- Maturity in women
- Characteristics of a mature woman
If you scroll further down in this article, you will get answers to questions such as; at what age do women reach emotional maturity? And how to be a mature woman.
MATURITY IN WOMEN
The term maturity is used to describe something that is fully developed or has shown certain signs of development. Studies on maturity often refer to three common types of maturity; physical/physiological, emotional, and mental maturity. The maturity difference between boys and girls is more obvious at a physical/physiological level. Reproductive maturity in girls is more rapid than in boys. Budding breasts, pubic hairs, armpit hairs, thicker and curvier thighs, and waist, increase in height, and facial skin issues are all signs of maturity in girls at a physical level. This usually occurs between the ages of 9-14 and experts also say that girls experience more brain development than boys at this maturing stage.
Mental and emotional maturity differs from person to person. These forms of maturity are shaped by experiences, values, environment, and even biological background. A lot of boys and girls may display a lot of immaturities because they are on the journey of self-discovery and have little life experience. It is common to see physically mature girls who are not mentally mature or emotionally developed. It’s not uncommon to see young mature girls display signs of self-doubt, low self-esteem, poor attitudes, indiscipline etcetera.
Many studies have shown that maturity has a lot to do with experience. One example is Prof Jarsaniya’s article on ‘emotional maturity in women’ which found a significant difference in the emotional maturity of working women and non-working women. Prof Jarsaniya found that working women had better mean scores in the 5 dimensions of emotional maturity (emotional stability, emotional regression, social adjustment, dependency, and flexibility) they were being tested for.
The simple reason why working women seem to have better scores on emotional maturity is that they are constantly in settings that demand a great deal of respect and emotional maturity to function effectively. Formal organizations have deterrents that ensure that workers do not disrespect or cross certain emotional boundaries while working with others. This study was conducted in India.
The difference in the overall maturity score of working women and non-working women. Source: ijip.in
CHARACTERISTICS OF A MATURE PERSON/WOMAN;
1. In charge of her emotions
It is true that women are more emotionally expressive than men, hence the general saying that women are emotional beings. Sadly, it also makes them to be seen as less rational than men albeit the fact that being emotionally expressive is not synonymous with irrationality, rather, how a person chooses to express their emotions defines whether they are rational or irrational.
A mature woman will show a great deal of emotional strength fondly known as emotional maturity. Emotional maturity simply means being in charge of one’s emotions. A mature woman can recognize, interpret, control, and express her emotions appropriately. When an emotionally mature woman recognizes that she has allowed her emotions to get the best of her, she quickly adjusts and tries to correct her errors instead of justifying herself. She dislikes being impulsive in tense situations. A mature woman knows that for her to reach an emotionally healthy state, she must continuously work towards attaining it, that is why she evaluates her actions often.
2. She can take on various perspectives
A second loveable attribute of a mature woman is her ability to take things into perspective. This is a sign of mental maturity. A mentally mature woman is intentional about being open-minded. She evaluates situations from different points of view before concluding, unlike an immature woman or person. An immature woman always allows her ego or self to get in the way of understanding. She allows her perspective or the other perspective she finds suiting to prevail. She refuses to indulge in critical thinking.
A mature woman knows to question stereotypes or ‘group think’ and avoid falling into them. A mature woman acknowledges her limited understanding in order not to lead herself or other people astray. She understands the dynamic nature of knowledge and knows that what is right in one scenario might not be in another. Since she is not rigid in her way of thinking, she finds it easier to understand people and relate with them appropriately. She tries to be rational in her relationships and associations. A mature woman is more likely to avoid costly mistakes because she evaluates different perspectives.
Jack Ma says “It is easier to win if you have people seeing things from different perspectives”.
3. Knows when they are wrong, acknowledges it, and adjust accordingly
Being able to analyze her actions, acknowledge wrongdoings, and adjust her behavior or mindset are qualities a lot of people love about mature women. Mature women do not allow their egos to get the best of them. They apologize when they are wrong and aim to be rational in their actions and judgments. They do the hard thing that needs to be done because they value being fair to people and in their dealings. This attribute enables them to have lasting and quality relationships.
A mature woman may not be excited about certain changes in her personal life, workplace, or social settings but she understands the importance of being adaptable. For example, a mature woman might find the introduction of technology in an organizational process as annoying, complicated, or uncomfortable at first, but she will not overlook the benefits of it and humble herself to learn how to use such technology. Her ability to adapt usually spurs her to excellence. She teaches herself to complain less and learn more. This quality usually earns her admiration from people around her.
5. Realistic expectation
Having a realistic expectation of oneself and ability is one characteristic of a mature person. A mature woman does not inflate her ability nor does she have a bloated sense of importance. She understands her strengths and weaknesses and uses them to her advantage. Although she is realistic in her expectations, she continues to strive to be an achiever. She, therefore, invests the necessary efforts and time that will help her excel.
6. Delayed gratification
A mature woman is not ruled by self-gratification because she values the bigger picture. She knows how to delay gratifying herself to achieve her goals. She weighs the benefits and consequences of her actions before doing them. She knows the importance of being goal-oriented and therefore has a solid work ethic. She avoids procrastinating as much as she can and embraces discipline. She appreciates punctuality and meeting deadlines. A mature woman values being organized and knows how to prioritize activities in her life or day.
7. Consistency and predictability
People around mature women feel safe because they can predict how emotionally mature women would respond in different scenarios. Mature women aim to be consistent (for the most part) in how they express themselves and the energy they give off. They are very attentive to their mental and emotional health and constantly seek to be better. Mature women can be relied on to handle certain sensitive issues because they communicate well verbally and behaviorally. They give thought to situations before responding to them.
Another sign of maturity in a woman is self-acceptance. A lady matures when she tries to understand herself. By doing so, she can embrace her strengths and flaws fully, and use them to amplify her uniqueness. She is also able to identify what is good for their physical, emotional, and mental health. She is able to stand alone and is not bothered by petty behaviors. She no longer seeks approval from people because she is content with herself. Her self-acceptance helps her to create healthy boundaries.
Apart from her mental health and emotional development, a mature woman takes responsibility for her life. She does not leave her life to chance or luck. She is determined to give a good account of her life. She makes decisions and is ready to face the consequences of her decisions or actions.
VALUABLE QUOTES ABOUT WOMEN’S MATURITY
- “The maturity of a woman who has continued to grow is a beautiful thing to behold.” Naomi Wolf.
- “The first sign of maturity is not reacting to others immaturity” Dr. Muthukrishnan
- “The very young woman can be charming and delightful and pretty but only a mature woman can be beautiful” Madeleine L’Engle
- “Maturity is when you live your life by your commitments not by your feelings” Rick Warren
- “Older women know who they are, and that makes them more beautiful than younger ones” Naveen Andrew.
- “Maturity is the ability to postpone gratification” Sigmund Freud
- A mature woman is a woman who has lived her life enough to understand what she wants, and she is confident in knowing who she is without question. Steve Couco.
- “Self-knowledge is the first step to maturity” Jane Austen
- “A girl says her worth, a woman acts her worth” anonymous
- “Maturity is accepting the responsibility of being oneself whatever the cost” Osho
- “Girls want attention, women want respect.” anonymous
- “Maturity is to do what’s important and to ignore what’s not” Maxime Lagace
- “There is a beauty to wisdom and experience that cannot be faked. It is impossible to be mature without having lived” Amy Grant.
- “Maturity is having the ability to escape categorization” anonymous.
- “One of the benefits of being a mature, well-educated woman is that you are not afraid of expletives. And you have no fear to put a fool in his place. That’s the power of language and experience.” Dame Judi Dench.
- “Maturity is not measured by age. It’s an attitude built by experience.”
- “Men and women are most alike at their most mature and soulful levels. Men and women are most different only at their most immature and merely physical level.” Richard Rohr
- “Maturity is not when we start speaking big things. It’s when we start understanding small things.” anonymous
- “You cannot be a winner without maturity and consistency” Marco Silva
- “Maturity is the ability to think, speak, and act your feelings within the bounds of dignity” Samuel Ullman.
- “Maturity is humility. It is being big enough to say, “I was wrong”. And when s/he is right, the mature person need not experience the satisfaction of saying, “I told you so”
1. At what age do women reach emotional maturity?
A lot of experts do not believe that age weighs as much as other factors in a person’s emotional maturity. Several studies have attributed a person’s emotional maturity to experience, values, environment, and family background. However, there are speculations that at the age of 30, a woman
2. How to be a mature woman
- In charge of your emotions. Do not come off as weak, overly sensitive, or aggressive. Do not deny what you feel but do not allow what you feel to control or drive you the wrong path. If you wish to emotionally develop, pay attention to how you react or respond during tense moments and improve it.
- Do not be rigid in your mindset. Improve your level of understanding and always give room to the possibility of ‘more’. Empathize and see things from perspectives other than yours.
- Acknowledge your actions; the benefits and consequences of it. Continue to improve and never fail to make amends when you are wrong. Do not allow your ego to stop you from doing what’s right.
- Pay attention to the energy you give off. People do not want to have a relationship with people they consider toxic or draining.
- Learn to put your goals ahead of gratifications. When people understand your values and drive more than what you enjoy for leisure, they pay more attention to you because your actions command respect.
- Understand yourself better than another person would. By doing so, you overcome the feeling of not being enough. You also create good boundaries for yourself and refuse unnecessary insults from others.
Maturity comes in various forms and the obvious form is physical maturity. Girls start maturing from the age of 9-14 and experience a lot of physical changes in their bodies. While a girl matures physically, they do not automatically mature mentally or emotionally as well. Signs of maturity in a woman include being in charge of her emotions, adaptability, ability to delay gratification, self-acceptance, and responsibility.
01 HOUR 35 MINUTES
ESTIMATED TIME DESIGNING AND UPLOADING THIS ARTICLE
11 HOURS 01 MINUTE
ESTIMATED TIME RESEARCHING AND WRITING THIS ARTICLE
You Might Also Like
It is quite understandable to see people worry about getting the right gifts for intellectuals. After all, they do seem like picky people. But don’t stress it, we are here to help out. In this article, we’ve listed a couple of lovely items you can
11 Effects of Living with an Alcoholic Spouse and How to Live with an Alcoholic Spouse. WhatToGetMy Instructional Article Living with an alcoholic husband/wife can be a nightmare for the spouse who is not an alcoholic. It is a rollercoaster of emotions filled mostly with
Knitting gadgets, tools, and accessories are knitting themed gifts that would always be happily received by a knitter, including the knitter that has everything. The selection of Gifts for the Knitter Who Has Everything are gifts that can be given for any occasion, and also
GIFTS FOR THE IMPOSSIBLE WOMEN WhatToGetMy Instructional Article Finding gifts for the impossible women can be difficult because of two reasons, One is because with some women, when they need something or want something, they go out and buy it themselves as they are impatient
11 Signs You Should Stay Away from Someone WhatToGetMy Instructional Article Toxic or negative people are hazardous to keep up with. You need to know what type of people you should stay away from. Friendship or relationship can be challenging, and it is not easy
How to Win the Heart of a Virgo Woman WhatToGetMy Instructional Article When you are interested in a Virgo woman, it is important to understand her behavioral patterns based on her zodiac sign. Once you have understood who she is, her likes and dislikes, you